研究生英语系列教材上unit1-原文+翻译 下载本文

Your job as a future employee is to help the hiring manager mitigate that risk. 作为未来的一名员工,你的工作是帮助人事部经理降低这种风险,

You need to help them indentify you as a prospective “key player”.

你需要帮助他们认定你有潜力成为一名核心员工。

Trait 1: The selfless collaborator 特征1:无私的合作者

John Fetzer, career consultant and chemist, first suggested this trait,

职业顾问和化学家约翰·费策尔最早提出了这个特征。

which has already been written about a great deal.

关于这个特征,人们已经写了大量的文章。 It deserves repeating because it is the single most public difference between academia and industry.

它之所以值得被反复谈及,是因为这一特征是学术界和企业间最明显的差别。

“It's teamwork,” says Fetzer. “这里需要合作,”费策尔说,

“The business environment is less lone-wolf and competitive.

“企业的环境并不需要单打独斗,争强好胜, so signs of being collaborative and selfless stand out.

所以表现出合作和无私精神的员工就脱颖而出了。

You just can't succeed in an industry environment without this mindset.” 在企业环境中,没有这样的思维方式就不可能成功。”

Many postdocs and grad students have a tough time showing that they can make this transition

许多博士后和研究生在进行这种过渡的过程中表现得相当费力。

because so much of their life has involved playing the independent-researcher role and outshining other young stars.

因为生命中有那么长一段时间他们都在扮演一

个独立研究者的角色,并且要表现得比其他年轻的优秀人才更出色。

You can make yourself more attractive to companies by

你可以藉此提高在公司的吸引力:

working together with scientists from other laboratories and disciplines in pursuit of a common goal

为追求一个共同的目标和来自其他实验室和学科的科学家们合作

— and documenting the results on your resume.

——并且为你的个人履历上的内容提供事迹证明。

This approach, combined with a liberal use of pronoun “we” and not just “I” when describing your accomplishments,

这个方法,加上你在描述业绩时开明地使用代词“我们”,而不是“我”,

can change the company's perception of you from a lone wolf to a sel ess collaborator. 能使公司对你的看法从 “单干户”转变成“合

作者”。

Better still, develop a reputation inside your lab and with people your lab collaborates with as a person who fosters and initiates collaborations

更为有利的是,要在你实验室内部,以及在和你们实验室合作的人们之间,培养一个良好声誉:一个鼓励并发动合作的人

— and make sure this quality gets mentioned by those who will take those reference phone calls.

——还要保证让那些会接听调查电话的人们谈及你的这个品质。

Trait 2: A sense of urgency 特征2:紧迫感

Don Haut is a frequent contributor to the aaas.sciencecareers.org discussion forum. 唐-豪特是一位给aaas.sciencecareers@org 网站论坛频繁写稿的撰稿人。

He is a former scientist who transitioned to industry many years ago and then on to a senior management position.