研究生英语系列教材上unit1-原文+翻译 下载本文

研究生英语系列教材上原文+翻译

unit1-

TRAITS OF THE KEY PLAYERS 核心员工的特征

What exactly is a key play? 核心员工究竟是什么样子的?

A “Key Player” is a phrase that I've heard about from employers during just about every search I've conducted.

几乎每次进行调查时,我都会从雇主们那里听到“核心员工”这个名词。

I asked a client — a hiring manager involved in recent search — to define it for me. 我请一位客户——一位正参与研究的人事部经理,给我解释一下。

“Every company has a handful of staff in a given area of expertise that you can count on to get the job done.

“每家公司都有少数几个这样的员工,在某个专业领域,你可以指望他们把活儿干好。 On my team of seven process engineers and biologists, I've got two or three whom I just couldn't live without,” he said. 在我的小组中,有七名化工流程工程师和生物学

家,其中有那么两三个人是我赖以生存的,”他说,

“Key players are essential to my organization.

“他们对我的公司而言不可或缺。

And when we hire your company to recruit for us, we expect that you'll be going into other companies and finding just:

当请你们公司替我们招募新人的时候,我们期待你们会去其他公司找这样的人:

the staff that another manager will not want to see leave.

其他公司经理不想失去的员工。 We recruit only key players.” 我们只招募核心员工。”

This in part of pep talk intended to send headhunters into competitor's companies to talk to the most experienced staff about making a change.

这是一段充满了鼓动性的谈话,目的是把猎头们派往竞争对手的公司去游说经验丰富的员工们做一次职业变更。

They want to hire a “key player” from another company.

他们想从另一家公司招募核心员工。

Every company also hires from ranks of newbies,

然而,每家公司也从新人中招人。

and what they're looking for is exactly the same.

他们要寻找的是完全一样的东西。

“We hold them up to the standards we see in our top people.

“我们把他们和公司顶级员工表现出的特质进行对照。

If it looks like they have these same traits, we'll place a bet on them.”

假如他们看起来有同样特征的话,我们就在他们身上赌一把。”

It's just a bit risker.只是这样有点儿冒险。 “It's an educated guess,”“这是一种有根据的猜测,”

says my hiring manager client.我的人事经理客户说。